Insurance has become a significant part of modern living. There are several types of insurance such as home insurance, car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, golf insurance, yacht insurance, and travel insurance. While most insurance types are optional, Dubai insurance for vehicles is mandatory. In fact, auto insurance is compulsory in most countries around the world today. There are quite a few factors that influence your auto insurance premiums and cost. Of these, many are out of your control. For instance, you cannot do anything about your age, gender, place of residence, marital status, occupation, past driving record, college degrees, years of driving experience, etc.
If you take into consideration the various factors that affect your insurance premiums, and understand how different insurance companies work out risk factors and statistics, you might realize that sometimes it is better to shop around for a new auto insurance policy than others. You should consider checking the insurance market for better deals after turning 21 or 25 years of age, if you switch residence, when you change a job and the distance you drive each day decreases significantly, 3 to 5 years after an accident or traffic violation, when you get married or a new job, if you have just bought a life insurance policy or a home insurance policy (especially from the same insurance provider as your auto insurance), when you buy a new car and plan to add it to your existing Dubai insurance policy, or when you feel your credit score has improved.
Now let’s move on to the top 5 things that can spike your auto insurance.
- While a majority of us shop for auto insurance at the last minute, there are some who let their insurance policy lapse before going ahead and looking for a feasible deal on the market. This may be one of the most foolish things you can do. Not having valid car insurance on your vehicle for even just over 30 days can cause insurance companies to hike your premium costs.
- We all know that a no claims certificate and having a good driving record can lower the auto insurance costs. Thus, the opposite holds true too. If you have had any brush with the law in terms of traffic violations or accidents, be prepared to shell out more premiums on your car insurance renewal. Most companies hike the premiums for 3 years, after which you may want to think of shopping for a new policy.
- Unmarried males younger than 27 years of age are considered higher risk by insurance providers and thus end up paying higher premiums. Here’s another reason to ask that special girl to be yours. Married men and couples with children pay a lot less in premiums in comparison.
- The insurance amount is more or less directly proportional to the price of the new car. Having said this, by new we mean first hand. Even if you buy a snazzy car that has been pre-owned, you may come across reasonable insurance prices. Being wise about the choice you make in terms of make and model may help you lower your premiums to a great extent. For example, cars like Honda Civic are considered higher risk because a majority of owners are young and unmarried. On the other hand Station Wagons are cheaper to insure.
- One thing that is sure to spike your Dubai insurance for cars is if you are in an occupation that requires you to be on the road, or if you have to travel long distance to reach your workplace. This is because there is a greater risk and probability of you getting into an accident as opposed to a person who does not spend so much time on his commute.